Experienced Biloxi Personal Injury Attorneys Ready to Win Your Fight
Experience and Passion to Fight for the Compensation You Deserve
Do you live in the Biloxi area? Have you recently been the victim of an unfortunate accident that has left you disabled, injured, or with a diminished quality of life? Do you feel that you deserve compensation for your accident but feel unsure as to what steps to take next? If you need help, seek a team of trusted Biloxi personal injury attorneys to represent your case.
If you’ve been injured in an accident, chances are that you’ve already been through more than enough stress recently. Perhaps you’ve sustained a spinal cord injury, a traumatic brain injury, or a facial injury. Maybe you’ve sustained severe burns, bone fractures, or soft tissue damage.
Maybe you’ve lost your mobility or sustained another sort of injury that is severely hampering your quality of life. Whatever your situation, you should never feel like you’re suffering alone. Our highly skilled and committed Biloxi personal injury lawyer at Smith & Holder, PLLC is here to help you regain your quality of life and to fight alongside you for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today.
Why Smith and Holder, PLLC?
Why should you choose Smith and Holder, PLLC to pursue your personal injury claim? In two short words: experience and effectiveness. Combined, our team has years and years of experience pursuing personal injury claims and a successful track record of winning compensation on behalf of our clients. We understand the law, and the best strategies to pursue recovery on your behalf.
Simply put, you should not have to deal with the stress of researching complex legal matters or wondering whether or not you have a case. Our proven, trusted, experienced Biloxi injury law firm can help you navigate the complex legal maze of personal injury laws. Our Biloxi injury lawyers can help you determine the cause of your accident, your rights under the law, and how to begin to pursue them.
Types of Biloxi Claims We Handle
As we all know, accidents can happen almost instantly and in a wide variety of ways. Below are a few examples of the types of personal injury claims we routinely cover:
- Auto Vehicle Accidents: While we all want to feel safe on the roads and believe that others are driving as responsibly as we are, this is unfortunately not always the case. Safe drivers can become victims of those who are reckless, distracted, or intoxicated.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Statistics indicate that more than 50,000 motorcyclists per year are injured or killed in traffic accidents. In many of these accidents, particularly between a motorcyclist and a larger vehicle, the motorcyclist can sustain significant injury.
- Commercial Trucking Accidents: Accidents involving large commercial trucks cause a significant number of injuries and fatalities. If you’re involved in an accident with a large commercial truck, injuries can be significant and long-lasting.
- Premises and Product Defect Liability: Are you the victim of a slip and fall or another accident at a premise that you believe was caused by the negligence of another? Have you been injured by a product that did not work as intended? Call us today.
- Wrongful Death: Losing a loved one is the worst sort of loss imaginable. If you believe your loved one has passed due to the negligence or incompetence of another, we’re here to help.
- Nursing Home Negligence: Statistics indicate that nursing home residents are all too often the victims of physical, financial, or emotional abuse. Don’t feel like your loved one needs to suffer alone.
Under Mississippi law, all injuries related to an accident caused by a product defect or by the negligence of another, are eligible for financial compensation. If you believe that you have been injured by the negligence of another party, our proven Biloxi personal injury lawyers are here to listen and help.
Types of Compensation in Biloxi Personal Injury Claims
Mississippi provides for two types of compensatory damages. Compensatory damages are designed to make the accident victim whole again. The first type of compensatory damages is special damages, sometimes referred to as economic damages. Special damages are those that correspond to a victim’s actual financial losses. These damages are typically proven by presenting medical bills, receipts, and work records. Special damages may include amounts for the following:
- Past and future medical expenses,
- Lost wages,
- Decrease in earning capacity, and
- Property damage
The second type of compensatory damages in a Mississippi personal injury lawsuit are general damages, sometimes called non-economic damages. General damages refer to those losses that are harder to assign a dollar value to because they are intangible. There is no definitive financial loss associated with these types of damages. For example, the following are types of general damages:
- Physical pain and suffering,
- Loss of consortium,
- Mental anguish, and
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Both special and general damages are a crucial component of any Biloxi personal injury lawsuit. However, it is especially important to create a compelling case for general damages, as it is common for general damages to exceed the amount of special damages awarded in a case. However, in most cases, general damages in Mississippi are limited to $1 million. General damages in a medical malpractice claim are typically limited to $500,000.
In some cases, an accident victim may be entitled to punitive damages in addition to general and special damages. Unlike compensatory damages, punitive damages are designed to punish a defendant for their especially egregious conduct. While punitive damages are rare, they may be appropriate in cases involving a defendant’s intentional or grossly negligent conduct.
How Our Biloxi Injury Law Firm Can Assist You
If you are the victim of an accident like those above, or one which you believe qualifies for compensation under the law, we can help. In Mississippi, accident victims can recover compensation for the financial effects of their injuries: bills for medical treatment, lost wages, and more.
After hearing your story, our Biloxi personal injury attorneys will be able to advise you as to what compensation you may be entitled to and how to begin moving forward to obtain it.
When you hire Smith & Holder, PLLC, to represent you, we will immediately start an independent investigation and preserve all evidence. Our priority is to build the strongest case possible and help you pursue the maximum compensation possible. Some of the ways we can help you include:
- Identifying all liable parties;
- Determining the nature and extent of your injuries;
- Calculating the total value of your claim, including future expenses and permanent disability;
- Handling all communication with the other insurance companies and lawyers;
- Aggressively negotiating a settlement on your behalf;
- Hiring and consulting with any necessary experts;
- Ensuring a lawsuit is filed within the statute of limitations; and
- Preparing your case for trial if necessary.
We handle all the complex legal aspects, so you don’t have to do it. We want you to focus on your recovery and feel better as soon as possible. Recovering from a personal injury accident is stressful enough, you don’t need the added frustration of dealing with the at-fault party’s insurance company or attorney.
Statute of Limitations in Mississippi
You have only a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit in personal injury matters, which is one reason why you need a strong legal advocate. Should you miss the deadline, you could be barred from any future recovery.
In most cases, you have three years from the date of injury to file a lawsuit for injury to a person or property. This deadline is called the statute of limitations. Professional malpractice, such as medical malpractice, is typically two years from the action or the date of discovery. Don’t assume your case falls under these general deadlines. There could be special circumstances that either extend or decrease the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit.
Contact Our Established and Skillful Biloxi Personal Injury Attorney Today
Certainly, the first and most important thing to do after being injured in an accident is to seek treatment from a medical provider that you trust. The next step is to call us. Our Biloxi personal injury law firm is prepared and ready to put our experience to work on your behalf. We would welcome the opportunity to listen to your story and let you know how our Biloxi personal injury lawyers might be able to help. We also handle brain injury cases.
Don’t delay this important first step toward seeking the compensation you deserve any longer. If you live in the Biloxi area and need help, the Biloxi injury attorneys at Smith & Holder, PLLC are ready, available, and eager to help you assert your rights. Give us a call today to schedule your free consultation. We are located in Gulfport, Mississippi, and are dedicated to serving all of Jackson and Harrison Counties.